Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sitting and waiting for history to happen

Before I say what I'm about to say, don't worry. I'll be fine. And now that by saying that I've made you worry, here goes nothing...

Last night we went to dinner in Koregaon Park and passed by the bakery where a bombing happened not long ago. I have to admit it was a little eerie passing by such a place.

Today, in class, we were told by our TA/RA (yes he serves both purposes, and he's awesome) that we weren't allowed to leave the hotel after 3 pm. Of course (Mom, don't worry), this is extremely precautionary. It's not thought that anything will happen but the program is being safe to ensure not being sorry.

We had all read in the papers that the Ayodhya verdict was to be decided today. Basically the ruling will decide on property rights (between Muslim and Hindu groups) and a potential building of a temple where a mosque once stood. The TV headlines say, "Judgement Day: Nation Awaits Verdict,"and "D-Day for Ayodhya;" it seems every station is dramatically buzzing with the latest news. The verdict was supposed to be announced at 3:30pm, but it's 4:05 and we still sit here waiting, footage of Lucknow (where the court is located) rolling on the TV.

We just got news that the verdict is being read at this moment. Nothing on the details yet. For now, I have 100 pages of reading so I'm off. I'll keep you abreast if anything happens (which it won't, Mom).

No comments:

Post a Comment