Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Singapoor?

When I first arrived in Singapore I was quickly reminded of one thing: Christmas!! One of those cheezy songs was playing in the air and there were Christmas decorations everywhere! I was beyond thrilled. Yes, I'd like to walk in a winter wonderland. Yes we can go caroling and have pumpkin pie. Oh dear...now I really want some pumpkin pie. 

I took a cab to get to the hotel and my cab driver was a bit...off his rocker. He's a 68 year old crazy man who told me all about Singapore and gave me loads of life advice. For example, he said that Singapore looks nice to tourists but actually everyone is bankrupt. He also told me that the 3 things most important in my search for a husband (he was curious as to why this search hasn't begun yet): 1) he's healthy, I'm not sure if I start dating a guy with the common cold if he falls into that category but I will be sure to consult with crazy cab man at some later date 2) he smiles and he's handsome because you'll have to look at that face for the rest of your life 3) he's hard-working. I'd like to add 4) he likes the ballet. No, nevermind. I find that boring. 

Anyways, I wanted to tell you that all those rumors you've heard about Singapore being this clean oasis of bliss perfect for you everyday OCD clean-freak- well, they're all true. I didn't see a single piece of litter and I even used the bathroom at the public transit- and it was fine!! A Chicago CTA bathroom (does such a thing exist) would be very jealous. 

So our first day we did some shopping on Orchard Road (which is the thing to do in Singapore, especially for those looking to lighten their wallets by a significant proportion) and went to the Night Safari. I met this fabulous man at the airport in Mumbai- the director of an art school- who told that this was absolutely a "must-see." The Night Safari is directly across from the zoo and it's very much like a zoo but it's only viewable at night. At first we were a little hesitant because it seemed expensive and aren't the animals going to be asleep anyways? But no. Not only are they awake and wondering but you can get REALLY close to them. We're talking less than a foot away. Ok, so there's a small layer of glass separating the two of you but that's besides the point. Here are some photos to illustrate my point:

some kind of fancy kitty posing for me

No glass here- we walked into a bat cage and saw this guy face to face....this picture didn't even require zoom!

I hope you see what I see

The pair of lovers!

I used flash here just to expose the facial details- SO AWESOME!
My traveling partner and I also decided we should attempt to use Singapore's public transportation. 10 more points for Singapore- the system is incredibly efficient and intuitive. While very crowded, you know exactly what you're getting into: the trains are very clearly marked, a screen above them tells you exactly how long until the next train arrives and all the stops are clearly announced. In other words, these trains scoff at Indian trains. Sorry India but user-friendly is not quite part of your job description. 

The pristine MRT, Singapore's public transport system
 On our second day we went to Sentosa island which has basically been built up for tourism. In order to get to said island you take the MRT to Vivocity mall. Which is, like nearly every other building in Singapore, a mall- a very clean, expensive mall with lots of clean, expensive (and inexpensive if you're lucky) facilities. At Sentosa, we saw the Merlion (below) and Fort Siloso (which my travel partner calls Fort Samosa because it's easier to remember). We also took a journey to Little India later that night which was really nice...it was actually a lot like being in India with a few exceptions. When we tried to haggle with people and walked away, they didn't come chasing after us finally accepting that price they seemed they'd never accept. I also ended up being forced into buying a sweet coconut (whatever that is) with a straw for drinking it's milk. It was actually quite tasty but filling and I was already bursting at the seams from previous goodies. People liked when I said "Namaste," but didn't understand when I asked questions in Hindi. Oh, and the prices of everything were much more Singapori then Indian, alas. 


The Merlion 

food food food! at a Hawker center in Vivocity mall- the gateway to Sentosa island
Tune in later for more on Singapore! Spoiler: there are gardens in your future

No comments:

Post a Comment